Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Back in the Saddle

As most of you that read Sarah's blog know my mother passed away on October 19. It was a rough time for me and my family. The last two weeks have been such a blur; almost a dream. I don't think I'm ready on here (at least not yet) to tell you what happened and for reasons one might think of. A lot of it has to do with being the go-between the hospital and my family (all my siblings live in B.C. so I would call them twice a day to update them on her status). I have repeated the story so many times it has become almost like I was an information officer, not really giving it the honour and remembrance it deserves. Don't get me wrong - telling everybody has been one of the best things I could have done to grieve.

I have also learned that funeral homes, cemeteries and really anything in the death business is incredibly expensive, it almost seems like a money grab. Because I'm in accounting, I wonder what their expenses are and how much profit they make.

I'm back to work and school, trying to get back to my regular routine. One thing that hasn't wavered is my hockey. I went to two games; once while she was in hospital and one after she had passed. I wasn't going to but Dad asked me to go and I respected his wishes. I was so glad I did; the hockey rink is my sancutary, its my quiet time. Also the league did an amazing tribute on their web site and as well they did a moment of silence for her the game after she had passed. It was moving and I know my father was really moved by it.

Rest In Peace Della June W.
You will be missed.

No comments: